Second Body Practice | WMC Study Group | Volunteer Opportunities | Other Information
Second Body Practice
The latest round of Second Body Practice has three periods scheduled each year: January thru April, May thru August and September thru December..
Second Body Practice is a wonderful way for us to strengthen our mindfulness practice and build deeper relationships with one another. Everyone wishing to participate will be paired with one partner. You and your partner will take turns listening to and supporting each other in your practices as second bodies. The two of you will designate a time each week in which you mindfully listen to your partner and a time that your partner listens to you.
It is very important that you are willing and committed to maintain regular contact with your partner throughout this four-month period. If you are likely to be hard to reach or simply unable to make this commitment, please seek other ways to strengthen your practice and refrain from signing up at this time. It is also important that you refrain from initiating any form of dating relationship with your second body partner during this period.
If you wish to take part in this practice, please send name, address, email, and phone number to Steve Sidley or Second Body.
Partners will be assigned shortly before each session begins, and there
will be an opportunity for you to meet your partner face-to-face after the
sitting at the Vihara on the Sunday beginning each session. Thus, we ask that
you plan to attend the sitting that evening, if possible. If you have any questions about the practice please call Steve Sidley at (301)655-2605 or (301)897-3648.
top of page
WMC Study Group
WMC study groups allow practitioners to form smaller sanghas, for
discussion and mutual support, within the larger sangha in the Washington DC area. Meeting 6 times over a three month period, members have an opportunity for rich and deep personal sharing on topics central to the practice of mindfulness.
The WMC invites you to take part in our study groups, which take place in the Spring and Fall each year. The groups typically meet every week or every other week on an agreed-upon night at an agreed-upon location, for a total of six meetings. It is important that each participant be able to attend at least 5 of the 6 meetings.
To register or for more information please call Steve Sidley at (301)655-2605 or (301)897-3648.
Past Topics/Study Groups
Here are the topics and books used since the first study group:
- Relationships in Mindfulness Practice, using the text Teachings on Love, by Thich Nhat Hanh.
- Recognizing and Embracing Anger, using the text, Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames by Thich Nhat Hanh.
- Impermanence and Freedom, using the text No Fear, No Death: Comforting Wisdom for Life, by Thich Nhat Hanh.
- Nonviolent Communication, using the text Nonviolent Communication , by Marshall Rosenberg.
- The Four Agreements, using the text The Four Agreements, by Don Miguel Ruiz.
- WMC Couples Group, using the text If the Buddha Married, by Charlotte Kasl
- "Go on retreat no matter where you are," using the text The Path of Emancipation, by Thich Nhat Hahn.
- Radical Acceptance, using the text Radical Acceptance, by Tara Brach.
- Touching the Earth, using the text Touching the Earth, by Thich Nhat Hahn.
top of page
If you are seeking an opportunity to offer service in the wider community, consult our list of volunteer opportunities, which includes sangha and organizational contacts.
top of page
The WMC recently learned a new song, Watering Seeds of Joy, which we will continue to try out over coming weeks, in gratitude to the monks and nuns at Plum Village for writing it. Check out this link to a video of Watering Seeds of Joy.
Return to Practices